Sunday, August 15, 2010

Makes for an Adventure

BUDAPEST, HUNGARY This morning I read a CNN article on Elizabeth Gilbert. You've probably heard of her and her book, "Eat, Pray, Love," now a movie, staring Julia Roberts, about her experiences traveling solo. Her sentiments mirror what I've been saying in this blog except for the large numbers, especially women, she and the article claim are traveling alone. Maybe, among the ubiquitous young backpackers, on their summer breaks, you'll find some; but I haven't, as yet, met a single older woman traveling alone and just one man, the AIDS activitist. Gilbert says, "There's just something romantic, exhilarating and liberating about the idea of setting off on your own and exploring the world and yourself along the way. No companion? No problem. Being alone simply forces a traveler to open up more, whether out of loneliness, curiosity or boredom. You cannot have the experiences traveling with a partner that you have traveling alone." To be sure, it's about getting out of your comfort zone and seeing what happens.

Golden Park Hotel
I've stayed mostly in three-star hotels and accommodations and prices have more or less been appropriate. However, the Golden Park Hotel in Budapest was the furthest thing from a 4-star hotel (their designation) you can find. I couldn't take a shower without flooding the bathroom floor. The sink had a crack in it. The safe deposit box didn't work. On two occasions, without knocking, a cleaning woman charged into the room. The breakfast was ugh, awful! Breakfasts, in general, have gotten worse. In the Balkins, you got fresh herring and lox, bellini pancakes, and freshly fried ham and eggs. The herring, lox, and pancakes disappeared in Poland, and now the ham and eggs are gone. You're left eating cold cuts and rubbery cerial. I didn't say anthing about the breakfast to the desk clerk, but when I mentioned the bathroom and safety deposit box, he said, "There's nothing we can do about that." I don't know if he was reading my mind, but then added, "It makes for an adventure, doesn't it?"

Boring Modern Train
The train from Budapest to Vienna was brand new, factory smell, sterile, and univiting. The air conditioning, clean toilets, and electrical outlets were nice additions, but not being assigned a compartment, struggling with the windows for some fresh air, and the possibility of meeting someone new, this modern open seating contraption took all the charm and adventure out of traveling by train. The seats didn't even recline. I guess you had to ride premium class for that. And, it was twice as expensive to boot. Arriving in Vienna, I was reminded of my college winter break 1971. It was the first time I had been to Europe, puportedly to ski with a friend in St. Anton, but after a week of bad snow, and less than stellar skiing on my part, I headed to Vienna to explore on my own. On top of St. Stephen's Cathedral I met an Aussie, and together we did Vienna. We spent an afternoon at the Kunsthistorisches Museum, saw Puccini Tosca at the Opera House, and partied New Year's Eve at the Australian Embassy, where she worked.