Monday, August 9, 2010

Government Workers

Trenciansky Hrad Hotel
TRENCIN, SLOVAKIA My hotel abutted the Trenciansky Hrad, a castle with a complicated history, as, over the centuries, it had a number of royal occupants, and was always, more or less, a work in progress - I gleaned this from the few plaques they had in English. Although the castle is awsome, can be seen for miles, completely dominating the city and the hotel, surprisingly, the hotel clerk didn't know much about it - not that important it seemed. There's something about Eastern Europeans, they don't grasp the sales side of their jobs. In restaurants, they stand around like government employees - no hurry in taking your order, offering suggestions, or making sure you have everything. Try to get mayonaise for your fries or another beer - good luck, your waiter has disappeared for a smoke or is engaged in an intense conversation with another waiter. My German friends, on the flight over, had commented on how impressed they were with American waiters and waitresses. Indeed, the difference in attitudes is striking.

I spent a couple of hours ruminating over the history of the castle's narrow stairways, small rooms, and defensive bulwarks, before heading west to the Czeck Republic - through the lush wooded, rolling mountains; the towns, now quaint, clean, and prosperous. I pulled over for gas just beyond the border. I gave the attendant my credit card. She frowned. I pulled out some Euros. She smiled, rang up the bill, and handed me change in Koruna. I looked at the strange currency and said, "No, I can't use Czeck money. I'm not staying in the Country." She didn't understand English, German, or Polish. By this time, my Polish consisted of four words, yes, no, please, and thank you, but these were of no use now. After considerable finagling without understanding a word each other was saying, she agreed to take my credit card. Unclear as to how much I actually paid, it seemed a lot but I'm sure it was okay, I continued my road tour, getting lost three or four times before ending up back in Krakow to return the car and consider my next move.