Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Gotta Keep Mov'n

Hotel Europejski
KRAKOW, POLAND A warm night in Krakow brought out the crowds, street performers, and a variety of concerts from Chopin to Polish hip hop or something of that nature. The Poles are celebrating Chopin's 200th birthday. Although he was born in Poland, he spent most of his short life in Paris where he is buried; except his heart, which is entombed in a pillar in the Church of Holy Cross in Warsaw. I spent the afternoon walking around the Royal Palace - maybe tomorrow I'll actually take the tour - a four hour marathon - that sells out early. After spending this last week in Poland, and managing with my complete mastery of four Polish words, I'm almost at home here. After returning from the Czeck Republic, I checked into the Europejski, the same hotel I had left three days earlier. Like the prodigal son they welcomed me back with open arms, but without the fatted calf. Maybe I should settle down here for a few days - no that won't do - gotta keep mov'n - next stop Budapest. I purchased a ticket on the sleeper, leaving tomorrow night around ten and getting into Budapest 8:30 the next morning.