Saturday, April 5, 2014

We All Live Looking Over Our Shoulder


NAIROBI, KENYA: It’s only a one-night pit stop before continuing on to Tanzania. My driver from the airport talks non-stop about the threat of terrorism. “Every week there’s some kind of terrorist attack. Last week in Eastleigh, a terrorist threw a hand grenade into a crowded restaurant killing six and injuring dozens more. The government seems helpless to do anything about it, and when they do round up the potential perpetrators, mostly Muslims, they’re accused of discriminating against the Muslim population. Some believe President Uhuru and his Deputy Ruhu are actually personally involved. They might be right. The President and his Deputy are being charged by the ICC for crimes against humanity for orchestrating large-scale violence following the 2007 elections. They want the world to believe that they are indispensible to the West in their fight against Muslim extremism. I think the two may have even been behind the Westgate Mall terrorist attack. There are just so many unanswered questions there.” I mention that I had read that Nairobi is one of the ten most dangerous cities in the world. “It’s true,” he replies. “We all live looking over our shoulder.” We arrive at the heavily guarded hotel where I go through airport level security screening, sans removing of my shoes. I have time the next day and would like to see some of the city, but a quick gander outside the hotel compound reminds me that this is not where I want to end my trip.