Wednesday, February 26, 2014

What Are We Afraid of Learning?


Tourists from around the World
BORACAY, PHILIPPIANS. This island paradise with its white sandy beaches, clear skies, and warm translucent turquoise seas is clogged with tourists from around the world, mostly Asians, followed by Europeans; but hardly any Americans. No problem communicating, English is the common denominator. A six-year old Chinese girl from Shanghai told me, as she got out of the water after snorkeling with her dad, “I saw one black fish and one white fish.” Her father smiled proudly, “She’s taking English lessons from a private tutor.” He went on to say, “My wife and I use our vacation time to travel the world. We’ve been to Cuba, South America, New Zealand, Egypt, Tanzania, and Greece. Next year we’re going to the States.” The encounter wasn’t unusual as I run into English speaking Chinese wherever I go. According to a recent survey, China, compared to all other countries, has the largest number (97 million in 2013) of outbound tourists. I can’t help but wonder how all these Chinese tourists, exposed to so many different cultures and political systems, won’t return home to transform China, taking the best and rejecting the worst of what they encounter. What is our excuse? We Americans speak English, the franca lingua of foreign travel, and per capita, we are a far richer country than China. Could the answer be that we are afraid of learning something about ourselves that we do not want to hear? On the same snorkeling cruise, a Philippian nurse asked me, “Are you a missionary?” To her obvious relief, I said, “No.” “Too often,” she said, “The Americans we encounter are those that think they have something to teach us.”