Sunday, February 9, 2014

Tomato Picking Backpackers


Backpackers
BYRON BAY, AUSTRALIA: “I’m going up to a farm to pick tomatoes for three months,” a backpacking young French woman I met on the bus to the Brisbane airport told me. She went on to explain, “I found out about the job from a girl from Chicago at the backpackers hostel I stayed.” “Is this common?” “Yes, it is, if you want a twelve-month extension on your visa, you have to work eighty-eight days on a farm. I could have become a WWOOFer, [she spells it for me] but you don’t get paid for that. At least picking tomatoes I’ll get paid something.” A little later, a couple of gentlemen explained that this is how much of the farm labor gets done in Australia. They use the backpackers hostels as a means of recruiting these farm laborers. The jobs are tough and the pay is low. Australians won’t do these jobs. WWHOOFing they told me is another way of getting cheap labor. Hosts don’t pay the WWHOOFer anything. They just need to furnish them with decent meals and a place to stay. Since I had arrived in Australia I had seen a lot of these backpacker hostels, so I was curious just how they were set up. “Well, you can find all types,” the French woman told me. “The one I stayed in had two sections. The one section was like a dormitory with four or more bunk beds in a room. The other section was made of tents. That’s where I actually slept. I had just a thin mat to sleep on. I borrowed a blanket from someone else and used my knapsack for a pillow.”