Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Solving the World's Problems the Hard Way

DARWIN, AUSTRALIA: Many restaurants in Australia don’t have table service. You must go inside to order and pay for your food. If you want something to drink, you go to another part of the restaurant and pay for your drink there. It’s a strange system, but the food without a doubt is often quite good. In Darwin, after studying the menu of such a restaurant, I decided to order the breaded prawns, but instead of rice, I wanted chips and a side of coleslaw and some tartar sauce. Strangely, this was all very confusing to the waiter (clerk), who had to consult the owner several times before he could confirm the order. When my order came out, instead of breaded prawns, I got a bowl of shrimp in a gooey yellow sauce and instead of coleslaw I got a simple green salad. I told the waiter, “Sorry, but this is not what I ordered.” He said indignantly, “Yes it is.” I replied emphatically, “No it isn’t. Let me talk to the owner.” I didn’t have to wait long. The owner came racing out red as a beet. “Did you order from the menu?” he said, looking down at me threateningly. “Yes, but….” “Well then, this is what you ordered.” This was the flight or fight moment. “No I did not! I ordered breaded shrimp, chips, coleslaw, and tartar sauce.” I said loud enough for others to hear and hopefully cause him to back off and reconsider. He didn’t, and to my surprise got even more adamant and started swearing at me. The F word was used a lot. For me, flight was not an option. I returned his insults with my own, thinking at the same time this guy is much younger and bigger than I. What if I end up in the hospital with a broken jaw? What will my wife think? But I didn’t back down and finally he walked away in a huff leaving me to stew and eat something I didn’t order. As I finished my meal, he came back. “I want to apologize for the misunderstanding,” he said. “The waiter’s a new employee and his English is not very good.” I had actually gotten over it by then and told him I appreciated his apology. He then offered me a glass of wine and for the next half hour we talked politics and to our credit solved all of the world’s problems.