Friday, September 3, 2010

I Love America, But...

View from Bus
ZAGREB, CROATIA Chris, 17, born and raised in Zagreb, was my traveling companion on the 3 1/2 hour bus ride from Zadar to Zagreb. At 6' 4", he had been recruited as a linebacker by Mater Dei High School in New Jersey where he was returning for his senior year after working the summer in Croatia. Fluent in English and German, he plans to attend West Point next year. "I love America, but eventually I want to return to Croatia, because this is where I was born and raised," he said. "The government here is corrupt. You've heard of our former Prime Minister, Ivo Sanader, in cahoots with the mafia? We have a beautiful country but the government keeps screwing it up." The trip went fast, as Chris answered questions, and volunteered information about his country, but with respect to those perplexing rocks between Split and Zadar, he had no clue. One mystery he did solve is why the bus only takes 3 1/2 hours while the train nine. "The train has to go over Mount Velebit. That was the original route of the bus before they built the freeway and the tunnel through the mountain." Arriving in Zagreb I was able to find a hotel quickly - the best room I've had so far. I'm going to try to get my wash done tomorrow, but I learned that the only laundromat is outside of town.