Sunday, April 13, 2014

Pristine Beaches

Pristine Beaches
ZANZIBAR: This was intended to be a restful interlude between the safaris of the past few weeks and the upcoming Gorilla trek in Rwanda. Zanzibar, I had heard, had pristine sandy beaches, and warm clear waters; ideal for sunning and bathing. Oops, I must not have read the fine print. Instead I’ve encountered rain and dirty beaches. Strolling along the beach strewn with garbage I’m constantly set on by peddlers of paintings and local handicraft. “Hello there! Where are you from? Obama country? My name is Alibaba. You know Alibaba and the seven thieves? Yes, that’s my name. What is your Name? David, you say. I like that name. Now you’re King David and I’m Alibaba. Right? King David, you come now and see my shop. I’m an artist. I make these things in my village. I carve things. I paint things. I do this all myself. You like, I give you good price.” His artwork is identical to what I see in the other shacks that line the beach. He continues, now grabbing my arm, “You buy! Help me support my family.” I can’t resist, “Alibaba, if you’re the artist and proprietor of this shop, why don’t you clean up the beach in front of it?” He looks at me quizzically, and then laughs, “You funny King David. Now you buy. I give you good price.” I turn and he follows me for another ten meters before I’m picked up by another vendor, “Hello, where are you from, etc., etc.?