Thursday, March 27, 2014

You Can't Change History


Reiterdenkmal
WINDHOEK, NAMIBIA: “You can’t change history,” my German born Namibia guide grunted, as he read from his Namibian newspaper, referring to the controversy over the inauguration of the Genocide Memorial statue, built by the North Koreans, and unveiled in Windhoek on Independence Day last week. According to the paper, the memorial commemorates the long history of anti-colonial resistance and national liberation struggle. The issue for my guide, however, and the other 20,000 Germans living in Namibia, is that the memorial replaces the Reiterdenkmal, a memorial to the German soldiers and civilians who died fighting the OvaHereo and Nama between 1904 and 1907, but viewed by the indigenous peoples as a period of genocide. The Reiterdenkmal had been erected in 1912 by the then German governor of South-West Africa. In 1915 the Germans relinquished control of the country to the British, having held it as a colony for just thirty years. “They say we committed genocide then,” my guide bristles as if referring to something that just happened a day or so ago. “But it was war, just like any war. Was it genocide for you to bomb Hiroshima and Nagasaki?” I suggested that what we did to our Native Americans might be a more appropriate analogy. “I’ve never heard an American say that before,” he muttered. I thought I’d push further. “Why?” I asked, “After all these years is it so important to you Germans?” “Because it’s history and history is about facts, not about politics.” He retorted.Okay, then, how many Germans actually died in those battles?” “Almost 2,000. Their names are inscribed on a huge plaque in the church across the street from where they removed the Reiterdenkmal.” “And how many OvaHereo and Nama were killed?” “I don’t know.” “Can you guess?” “No. I have no idea?” “Could it have been over one hundred thousand?” “Maybe. No one knows.” I think you’re wrong, you see, history is all about politics and your Reiterdenkmal is a losing proposition just as the confederate flag flying over South Carolina and Mississippi capitols is a losing proposition for those states in our country. Yours even more so as Germans represent less than one percent of the population here.” Thankfully, as a courtesy to me, he decided to drop the subject, instead pointing over to the oryx, wildebeest, and springbok leisurely grazing nearby. “Isn’t this a great country?” he mused. “Yes,” I said, “It’s a beautiful country with vast stretches of empty space and wild life galore and yes it’s clear that the small German community here has had and continues to have an enormous impact on the country’s well being.” He turned to me smiling, “Now that’s what I want you to remember about this country.”