Thursday, September 13, 2012

One Child Policy


Stone Forest
KUNMING, CHINA As we hike through the Stone Forest not far from Kunming, Ju Lian, my guide, and I talk about China’s one child policy. “We have a serious population problem,” Ju Lian tells me. “So, I’m okay with the one child policy, although my husband and I sometimes say we would like another child. Children are very expensive, especially their education, so one child is already more than most of us can afford. If you live in a rural area or are from an ethnic group, it’s possible to have more than one child. The government doesn’t punish you for having a second child. They just won’t give your child an ID, which means the child won’t have access to health care, education, or employment opportunities. But this doesn’t bother some people who have enough money. There are always ways for them to pay for such things out of their own pocket. Of course, some people, with the right connections, can get extra IDs and there’s also the possibility of securing an ID through the black market. My biggest concern is that I want my child to go to a good school. My son has a Kunming ID so that’s good for getting into schools here. But there’s still the cost, which is very high. I don’t know how we’re going to afford it. Because we have only one child, we, like other parents, dote on our child. We want the very best for him and are willing to anything to make that happen.” “Do you think, the one child policy will ever be relaxed?” I ask. “No. It’s permanent, and that what people want.”