Monday, July 19, 2010

Postcard Perfect

Old Town
TALLINN, ESTONIA The sun came out and the temperature rose to over 80 bringing an exhilarating vitality to this postcard perfect Baltic city of midieval churches, towers, and shops. Losing oneself in the maze of cobbled streets was both easy and fun. The people, who are either Russian or Estonian, for the most part speak enough English to be helpful in giving directions but on important matters, I found, it's always good to ask the same question of two people and if the answer comes out the same you're probably safe to act on it. Sites beyond the Old Town are easily accessible through a network of trams and buses. From Old Town, where my hotel is, ten minutes on the number one line (your choice is either one or two) will get you to Kadiorg palace and park lands, which was built by Peter the Great as a summer palace for Catherine. Taking the same line and then bus 8 gets you to Pirita, a sprawling white sand beach set within a large track of pine-forested parks. Obviously, I did a lot of walking but enjoyed it so much I've decided to delay my departure until Wednedsay. I'll stick with my hotel room which is small but virtually meets all my needs. For 54 Euro, I get a superb high-speed wifi connection and a scrumptious buffet breakfast that includes some of the tastiest lox you'll find anywhere.